Here are some fun trivia about ICC cricket world cups played in the past:
1. Geoff Allott – who played just 31 ODIs for New Zealand shared the honors of taking 20 wickets with highly known Shane Warne of Australia in the 1999 world cup.
2. Australia has won the highest number of world cups – 5 (1987, 19999, 2003, 2007, 2015). They obviously are the team to play the highest number of the world cup finals – 6. Only once did they lose it – Against Sri Lanka in 1996.
3. India is the only team to win the world cup in 60 overs and 50 overs format.
4. First three world cups have been played in the 60 overs format. After the 1983 world cup, the format changed to 50 overs.
5. The red colored ball was used for the first four world cups. The players played in the white uniform, now being used only for Test cricket.
6. India is the first host country to win the world cup in 2011. Though Sri Lanka – then co-hosts – won the world cup in 1996, the final was played in Lahore, Pakistan.
7. Lord’s cricket ground, London – Cricket’s Mecca – has hosted the world cup finals 4 times. The highest amongst all cricket grounds. 2019 world cup final would be the 5th. Melbourne Cricket Ground is the only other venue to host more than one world cup finals – twice.
8. New Zealand’s Martin Guptill has registered the highest individual score of 237* vs West Indies in 2015 world cup.
9. India is the only country to bowl out their opposition in 7 consecutive matches in a single world cup – in 2015.
10. India’s Sachin Tendulkar holds the record of highest no. of runs -2278 and Glenn McGrath of Australis holds the record for the most number of wickets – 71. McGrath also holds the record of best bowling figure of 7/15.