A T20 cricket brings up a lot of enthusiasm and recreation across the world. And if it is about the T20I World Cup, it captivates and adds another dimension to it. Since the inaugural edition, there have been blockbuster matches, and more than that we have seen many staggering records. In this blog, let’s revisit some of those fascinating stats from all the T20I world cups.
T20I World Cup: Team Records
Till now there have been 7 ICC Men’s T20I World Cup. Here are the winners of each of those –
2007 – India
2009 – Pakistan
2010 – England
2012 – West Indies
2014 – Sri Lanka
2016 – West Indies
- West Indies has won the tournament twice which is the most by any team.
- Sri Lanka is the only team to reach the finals on 3 occasions. (Winners in 2014 and runners up in 2009 and 2012)
- In fact, Sri Lanka has the highest win percentage of 68.4 (won 26 out of 38) followed by India.
- Highest Score by team: Sri Lanka scored 260 runs with the loss of 6 wickets against Kenya in 2007.
- Lowest Score by team: the Netherlands scored 39 runs against Sri Lanka in 2014.
- In the ongoing T20I world Cup: Bangladesh will face England for the first time ever in the history of T20 Internationals.
Most Runs: Sri Lankan Superstar, Mahela Jayawardene tops this list with 1016 runs in 31 innings.
Most fifty+ Score: Virat Kohli, the run machine has scored 10 fifty+ scores in just 17 innings.
Most Century: As Expected, Christopher Henry Gayle leads this chart.
Highest score by player: Brendon McCullum (123 runs vs Bangladesh in 2012)
Most Sixes: Universe Boss, Chris Gayle has hit 60 maximums which is the most by any batter.
Most fours: Mahela Jayawardene (111 fours)
Most Wickets: Allrounder, Shakib Al Hasan is the leading wicket-taker ( 41 wickets in 28 innings)
Hat tricks: There have been 2 hat tricks, one by Ireland’s Curtis Campher against Netherland in the ongoing tournament and Australia’s Brett Lee against Bangladesh in 2007.
Best Bowling Spell: Srilankan Star, Ajantha Mendis has the best bowling figure of 4-overs-8 runs-6wickets against Zimbabwe in 2012.
Most Man of the tournament: Virat Kohli won twice the man of the tournament in 2014 and 2016.
- Most ducks: Shahid Afridi and Tillakaratne Dilshan jointly hold this unwanted record with 5 ducks.
- Most Expensive Spell: Sanath Jayasuriya with 64 runs in 4 overs against Pakistan in 2007.
- Australia, Newzealand, South Africa, and Afghanistan are the teams of Super 8 in the ongoing tournament to not win any T20I World Cup till now.
Do you have any such stat to share about #T20WorldCup? Do share in the comments or write us at our Twitter and Instagram handles.